Note: These lists are not ALL of the rights and responsibilities of landlord and tenant.
Tenant’s responsibilities/Landlord’s rights:
- Pay the rent on time.
Must be paid by midnight on the ninth day after the day it is due, or the landlord may start legal proceedings to evict the tenant.
- Keep the apartment and the surrounding area clean and in good condition.
- Keep noise to a level that will not disturb your neighbors.
- Repair any damage occurring to the apartment through the fault of the tenant, family members or guests. Notify landlord at once of major damage.
- Give the landlord permission to enter the apartment at reasonable times and with advance notice to inspect it or to make any necessary repairs.
- Notify the landlord of any anticipated prolonged absence from the apartment so he or she can keep an eye on things.
- When moving out, give landlord proper advance notice. Be sure that the apartment is in the same condition as when the tenant moved in and return the key to the landlord promptly.
- Notify the landlord immediately if the apartment needs repair through no fault of the tenant.
- For further information view the publication Rights and Responsibilities of Landlords and Tenants, JDP-HM-31 or (en español JDP-HM-31S)
Landlord’s responsibilities/Tenant’s rights:
- A clean apartment when the tenant moves in;
- Clean common areas (hallways, stairs, yards, entryways);
- Well lit hallways and entryways; and,
- Properly working plumbing and heating (both hot and cold running water).