Top ten reasons why it is great to be an appraiser:
1. Dazzle your friends with your knowledge of external obsolescence.
2. Enjoy the wonderful world of rats, bats, and spiders.
3. Join the profession blamed for the collapse of the financial world.
4. See places in people’s houses that usually require a search warrant to access.
5. Arouse the suspicion of an entire neighborhood when inspecting comparable sales.
6. Get a chance to irritate annoying real estate salespeople.
7. Walk around holding a clipboard just like “Skipper” at the Jiffy Lube.
8. Spend hours researching comps to justify the market value of a property you decided on when you pulled into the driveway.
9. Find out that some people really do hang black velveteen pictures of Elvis in their living room.
10. Be one of a handful of people who know that USPAP is not a medical term.”
By Kimberly Tanzer-Schneider
Chino Hills, CA •